If you plan to add any new structure or alter an existing structure on your property, you must get a zoning permit. This includes fences, pools, sheds, decks, room additions, garages, etc. If you have questions about something you are planning, please call the Zoning Inspector, Leo Brittson at (419) 699-0515 or send an email to zoning@washington-twp.com.

Zoning Permit ApplicationZoning Resolution

Zoning Board Members

Leo Brittson Photo

Leo Brittson

Township Administrator/Zoning Inspector

Appointed as Zoning Inspector 1/1/2022

Appointed as Township Administrator 7/25/22

Email – zoning@washington-twp.com

Other Email – lbrittson@washington-twp.com

Phone # – 419-699-0515


Note: The Zoning Inspector does not have set office hours. If you need assistance, please call (419) 726-6621 and leave a message. Your call will be returned as soon as possible.

Zoning Rates

Fence or pool$35.00
Shed or deck$40.00
Residential accessory or change/garage$40.00
Single family dwelling$150.00
Two family dwelling$175.00
Multiple family dwelling$250.00
Handicap RampNo Charge
Commercial/industrial sign – portable$60.00
Commercial / industrial sign – building and pole$175.00
Commercial / industrial accessory or change$125.00
Commercial – New Construction$300.00
Hearings – Variance$250.00
Hearings – Appeal$250.00
Hearings – Zoning Change$250.00
Hearings – Conditional/Special use$250.00
Zoning Resolution (Book)$15.00 for printed copy or Online for free
Change of Use$125.00
Building Demolition$35.00

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When do I need a zoning permit?
    A zoning permit is required for any kind of new structure or alteration to an existing structure on your property. This includes fences, pools, sheds, decks, room additions, garages, etc. If you have any questions as to whether a permit is necessary for something you are planning, please don’t hesitate to call the Zoning Inspector at 419.726.6621.
  2. How much does a permit cost?
    Zoning permits cost between $35 and $250 depending on the type of permit you are applying for. Please see the rate table above for more details.
  3. How long does the approval process take?
    You will be notified of a decision within 20 days after your application for a permit has been received.
  4. How do I appeal if my request for a permit is denied?
    You may file a written appeal with the Zoning Board of Appeals within 20 days after receiving notification of the decision by the Zoning Inspector. For more details, please refer to Section 23 of the Washington Township Zoning Resolution.

Zoning Complaints.

Zoning Complaints can be filed with the township using the form below. We will review all complaints and take appropriate action.

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Accepted file types: jpg, gif, png, pdf, Max. file size: 512 MB.
    Please upload image of complaint.
  • Anonymous Complaints Are NOT Accepted

  • Complaint retraction:
    If you submitted a complaint and you would like to retract it, please email the details to zoning@washington-twp.com

  • Please note: This form is subject to examination under the public records information act.